tonight's title was "The In-Between Times of Life." here are my scribbles from the sermon:
Philippians 4:11 is has the keyword "Content" as in:
11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
(NIV)
The word Content in Greek is Autarkeia, which is based on a secular greek word (from the Stoics).
Main Entry: au·tar·ky Pronunciation: 'o-"tär-kEFunction: nounEtymology: German Autarkie, from Greek autarkeia, from autarkEs self-sufficient, from aut- + arkein to defend, suffice -- more at ARK1 : SELF-SUFFICIENCY, INDEPENDENCE; specifically : national economic self-sufficiency and independence2 : a policy of establishing a self-sufficient and independent national economy
interesting huh?
so basically that means no aid of any kind, full of self-sufficiency and competency.
what does that have to do with Christianity? see verse 13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength. meaning...
we're living in the world of In Between times...between the 1st coming and the 2nd coming. instead of waiting and waiting for (the bus, subway, promotion, meeting a hubby/wifey, vacation time, etc.) various things that take up our time and mind from, concentrate on learning to live within the Christian framework, of living in the grace, having all that we need (2 Cor 9:8, being satisfied in that.
few key phrases which caught me tonight:
- develop the stamina of patience
- it's a slow process
- a waiting period forms our lives
No comments:
Post a Comment